Senior Staff Accountant
Super successful large machine company is seeking a new Senior Staff Accountant. The role will provide financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data and preparing reports for companies. Utilizing hands-on accounting experience and an in-depth understanding of accounting principles and company practices, Staff Accountant 3 performs complex accounting activities and financial analyses.
· Analyzing complex financial reports and records.
· Making recommendations based on analysis and status of reserves, assets and expenditures.
· Reviewing journal entries of junior accountants to ensure accuracy.
· Training and mentoring junior staff.
· Performing variance analyses and preparing account reconciliations.
· Assisting with financial and tax audits.
· Documenting and monitoring internal controls in support of auditing team.
· Coordinating more complex accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the accounting and finance team or with other departments.
· Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
· Documents financial transactions by entering account information.
· Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
· Summarizes current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet account schedules, and other reports.
· Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
· Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
· Guides clerical staff in Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable by coordinating activities and answering questions.
· Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
· Secures financial information by completing data base backups.
· Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
· Prepares payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements.
· Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
· Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
· Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
· Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
· Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results.
· Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions.
· Audits contracts, purchase orders, and advises changes as per accounting principles to substantiate individual transactions prior to settlement.
· Responsible for monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including preparation of journal entries.
· Responsible for maintaining ERP accounting system, backup control, and scanning of computer generated reports and statements.
· May lead and coordinate activities of other lower level accountants, and or clerical workers performing accounting tasks. Assists the Manager in training of Staff Accountant 1 and 2.
· Prepares monthly bank reconciliation for all accounts; verifies accuracy of bank statements and resolves questions or problems; maintains integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems.
· Responsible for review/auditing of payroll.
· Maintains fixed asset records and control; determines depreciation terms/rates to apply to capitalized items; prepares quarterly use tax and annual property tax returns for review by Manager.
· Assist the Manager in coordination of audits and preparation of schedules and documents for outside auditors.
· Maintains other accounts and performs other accounting duties as required or as requested by the Manager.
· Review accuracy of accounts payable/receivables miscellaneous invoices prepared for payment.
· Review general ledger account coding assigned to Purchase Orders and each miscellaneous invoice from vendors.
· Review accuracy of credit memos prepared for customers.
· Assist accounts payable and receivable staff in problems resolution.
· Employees are expected to follow instructions, procedures and to escalate any issue impacting workflow, quality, etc. Additionally, there are high value items
· Senior Staff Accountant 3 must demonstrate expert knowledge of accounting principles and familiarity with GAAP, as well as an ability to grasp company financial policies and protocols.
· Highly detail-oriented and organized.
· Knowledge of Corporate Finance.
· Solid research and reporting skills.
· Experienced with SFAS rules.
· Ability to meet a constant stream of deadlines.
· High level of confidentiality.
· Data entry skills.
· Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with different levels of employees.
· Superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Familiarity with SAP ERP systems.
· Employees must exhibit honesty and integrity as well as demonstrate adherence to rules, procedures and policies.
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license