A premier Business Management Consultant firm in the San Fernando Valley is seeking a payroll clerk. This position is responsible for all payroll-related functions for our clients. As Payroll Coordinator, this position is in charge of providing training to client staff and ensuring consistent and accurate payroll processing. In addition to regular payroll processing, payroll tax and vacation/PTO tracking, this position is also responsible for reconciling all payroll related accounts such as health insurance deductions, withholdings and garnishments.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design/Update existing processes for the payroll cycle.
- Train client staff on aforementioned processes and procedures. Ensure ongoing compliance with established processes.
- Collect and enter the approved pay information from clients each pay period and review payroll reports for accuracy prior to submission.
- Prepare and submit retirement reporting and payments including 403(b)/401(k) plans on a timely basis. This may also include STRS/PERS pension plans.
- In collaboration with Staff Accountants, assist with reconciliation of the following payroll-related liability accounts before month-end closing is completed:
- STRS–Employer and Employee
- PERS–Employer and Employee
- Accrued vacation payable
- Garnishment payable
- Insurance payable
- Review employee data entered by Payroll Clerks.
- In connection with year-end audit, prepare audit workpapers related to payroll and support audit related work to be done if asked.
Generally, any combination of education that would provide the required knowledge and skills for successful performance would qualify. A typical method of demonstrating these requirements would be:
A High school diploma and significant related experience or a bachelor’s degree in business administration ,accounting, public administration or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Three to five years of payroll processing experience, and experience processing quarterly payroll tax returns is mandatory.
- Intermediate knowledge of payroll and wage and hour laws
- Intermediate/Advanced Microsoft Office(Word, Excel, Outlook)skills
- Proper English usage and grammar
EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING IS A PLUS:
- HR Experience
- Abila Non-Profit Accounting (formerly Sage MIP)
- Non profit or education sector job experience