Network Engineer / Data Center Technician- Physical Operations
As a Network Engineer (Physical Operations), you'll be an essential member of our team responsible for maintaining and supporting the foundational elements of our network infrastructure.
Your role will involve hands-on tasks related to Layer 1 networking, data center operations, inventory management, and ensuring seamless connectivity across our network systems.
- Layer 1 Network Operations: Perform tasks related to Layer 1 networking, including configuring and maintaining physical connections, ensuring optimal cabling infrastructure, and addressing issues with connectivity at the foundational level.
- Data Center Management: Contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of our data center facilities, including rack and stack operations, ensuring equipment is properly installed, organized, and functional.
- Hardware Plug-in and Configuration: Skillfully handle the installation, setup, and configuration of network devices, ensuring proper connectivity and functionality
- Console Access and Screen Sharing: Utilize console access to troubleshoot and configure devices; collaborate effectively by engaging in screen sharing sessions with fellow engineers to resolve issues efficiently.
- Transceiver Understanding and Optics Management: Possess a basic understanding of transceivers, optics length, and their relevance to network connectivity and performance
- Cabling Expertise: Ensure a comprehensive understanding of cabling standards and practices to maintain an efficient and organized network infrastructure.
- Interface Status and Log Analysis: Monitor interface status, interpret basic logs, and descriptions to identify and troubleshoot connectivity issues promptly.
- MAC Address Understanding: Familiarity with MAC addresses and their role in network communication and device identification
- Hardware Guides and Fiber Rolling: Apply knowledge from hardware guides for devices and can perform tasks related to rolling fiber as needed
- Inventory and Asset Management: Contribute to inventory and asset management processes, ensuring accuracy and availability of necessary equipment and components.
- Previous experience in a similar role or relevant educational background
- Must have previous experience working in data center operations and equipment
- Must have a firm understanding of Layer 1 networking principles and practices, including familiarity with *WDM, fiber connector types, and cabling specifications
- Familiarity with data center operations and equipment
- Proficiency in reading basic logs and descriptions
- Knowledge of MAC addresses and their functions
- Strong and proven problem-solving abilities and resourcefulness.
- Basic understanding of hardware guides and fiber rolling procedures
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team.
- Must be a strong problem solver. Must approach challenges creatively, but methodically
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you do not have all the details; you are comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivate you to evolve and innovate
- Must be a collaborator. Ready to engage with other engineers and cross-functional teams inside multiple banners
- Certifications or coursework in network-related fields
- Additional experience in inventory and asset management systems.
- Familiarity with specific hardware or networking technologies relevant to our infrastructure.