Non-profit, community-based health education, advocacy and policy organization is seeking an Internal Auditor. Our mission is to collectively build equitable systems. We has been at the forefront of systems change work to eliminate disparities in health and well-being. Our policy areas include Health Systems, Food Justice, and Community and Economic Resiliency. Each area represents a unique opportunity to engage members of impacted communities in program and policy development through a wide variety of community interventions and strategies as well as representation and leadership through the coalitions and collaborations convened. With a primary focus on South Los Angeles, we work at the local, state, and national level to improve the health of under-served and marginalized communities.
We are looking for an objective Internal Auditor to add value and improve our operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and sound judgement. The Internal Auditor will ensure that all the business processes are risk-management compliant. The operating process includes assessing certain areas for compliance with relevant laws and evaluating how effective the agency has been at implementing its controls into practices. They also must show trust, independence and objectivity while being tough enough for difficult situations that can arise during an audit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Perform and control the full audit cycle including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations
· Determine internal audit scope and develop annual plans
· Obtain, analyze, and evaluate accounting documentation, previous reports, data, flowcharts etc.
· Prepare and present reports that reflect audit’s results and document process
· Act as an objective source of independent advice to ensure validity, legality, and goal achievement
· Identify loopholes and recommend risk aversion measures and cost savings
· Maintain open communication with management and audit committee
· Document process and prepare audit findings memorandum
· Conduct follow up audits to monitor management’s interventions
· Engage to continuous knowledge development regarding sector’s rules, regulations, best practices, tools, techniques, and performance standards
· Employee may be assigned additional or alternate duties as organizational needs require.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required typically required.
· Proven working experience as Internal Auditor or Senior Auditor
· Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
· Ability to manipulate large amounts of data and to compile detailed reports
· Proven knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules, and regulations
· High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
· Sound independent judgement
· BS degree in Accounting or Finance
**Will consider candidates straight out of public accounting with nonprofit client experience
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
· Experience working with BIPOC communities, with deep self-awareness of how you show up and how to position research as a tool to drive equitable outcomes for all people.
· Unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a willingness to speak up if team members fall short. You firmly believe that diversity of experiences and spaces where those voices are heard and respected leads to better outcomes, and they will have demonstrated a consistent commitment to this belief both personally and professionally.
· Fluency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is a must.
· Knowledge of Asana Project management is ideal but not a must.