Highly successful Manufacturer in Ventura is seeking a HR Generalist with Leave Management Focus. The Human Resources Generalist performs duties on a professional level in some or all of the following functional areas: recruiting/hiring, onboarding, benefits administration, leave management, employee relations, workers’ compensation, safety, compensation, organizational development, performance management, policy implementation, HRIS/systems, communications, training, EEO and affirmative action. The HRG works under general supervision to support the Human Resources Department. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the organization. The generalist must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill and the business needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Collect and analyze HR data in order to make recommendations to management. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Administer human resources policies and procedures according to company standards. Implement HR best practices and relevant employment laws/regulations in recommendations.
- Provide high-quality advice and service to management on daily employee relations and performance management issues.
- Support the HR department in implementing programs to help improve the employee experience.
- Participate in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Serve as backup for other Generalists and Manager.
- Follow instructions, procedures and to escalate any issue impacting workflow, quality, etc. Additionally, there are high value items that require proper care and protection.
- Manage the Leave of Absence process including coordination and administration of all leave types (e.g., workers’ compensation, personal, PDL, FMLA, CFRA, etc.).Employee point of contact for all Leaves of Absence inquiries/requests.
- Advise, administer and monitor LOA eligibility, processes and procedures including impact to benefits and return to work.
- Communicate/notify internal HR, payroll or other internal departments as needed.
- Ensure proper designation of leaves and responses within required timeframes.
- Partner with management during the interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations to employees in need.
- Educate employees and managers on applicable LOA programs.
- Track and report on leaves for management and as required/requested.
- Keep abreast of new and/or changing leave laws as they relate to company operations; recommend updates/revisions to policies, procedures, templates, forms, etc. as needed to HR management.
- Coordinate a variety of employee benefits: health insurance, life insurance, EAP, cafeteria plan, profit sharing, 401(k), discount tickets, company lunches, social functions, employee giving campaign, etc. Handle or refer health insurance issues.
- Assist with compensation and employee surveys.
- Execute recruiting efforts including, but not limited to: entering requisitions in the system, candidate searches, job fairs, community functions, testing, interviewing, preparing offer packages, pre-employment checks, approvals, coordinate and facilitate orientation, onboarding, reporting, vendor relations, etc.
- Responsible for hiring process vendor relationship management (including temporary and contract worker agencies, uniforms providers, pre-employment checks providers, etc.); coordinate and maintain contracts, reconcile billing, ensure systems are updated, run reports, perform audits, make adjustments as necessary. Maintain ongoing relationships with employment agencies to ensure the selection of the most qualified candidates.
- Complete EEO, affirmative action, and other government reports as required.
- Maintain and update job descriptions.
- Implement and administer employee policies and procedures. Updates and/or assist in the updating of the employee handbook.
- Respond to subpoenas.
- Maintain regulatory compliance of employee postings.
Employee Relations/Performance Management:
- Conduct HR-related investigations to include: gathering and analyzing facts, applying relevant laws and policies and practices, to reach conclusions and recommended actions, partnering with HR management and labor attorneys as needed.
- Provide expertise and case management of employee issues, from initial intake to resolution, in collaboration with HR management.
- Maintain required documentation, including intake, investigative notes, and final reports.
- interpret and apply understanding of company practices, policies, and employment law to provide advice, mentorship, or clarification for employee issues.
- Prepare termination and severance letters.
- Handle and/or act as back up for terminations.
- Prepare employee evaluation packages and review processes periodically. Review and enter completed evaluations into the system/file.
- Prepare internal employee communications regarding compensation, benefits, and/or company policies.
- Analyze and recommend topics for supervisor training.
- Develop, coordinate and carry out training programs for employees, supervisors, and management.
- Train and provide support to HR team members.
- Responsible for managing all aspects of workers’ compensation, including input/track claims, follow-up on open cases, investigations, vendor relations, claims reviews and reporting.
- Maintain all OSHA files in coordination with Safety Officer. Act as the safety committee representative.
- Extensive knowledge of the leave requirements and other legal protections afforded by the FMLA, ADA, CFRA, and other applicable laws.
- Expertise in HR policies and procedures.
- Comprehensive understanding of HR best practices and federal, state and local employment laws/regulations including leave administration, ADA, accommodations and investigations, such as harassment.
- Knowledge of California Workers' Compensation law and OSHA reporting requirements.
- Strong knowledge of hiring processes.
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
- HRIS experience including reporting.
- Strong business and HR acumen; sound judgment, critical evaluation, analysis and problem-solving abilities.
- Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal, consultation and communication skills (oral and written) with a high degree of business acumen.
- Strong organizational skills with a keen ability to prioritize and manage several projects concurrently.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a team player.
- Must exhibit ethical practice, honesty and integrity as well as demonstrate adherence to rules, procedures and policies.
- Completion of specialized certification or training on FMLA/leave administration a plus.
- Human Resources certifications (e.g., PHR, SHRM-CP).
- Advanced knowledge in MS Office suite, specifically Excel.
- HRIS experience using Ultimate Software.
- Experience leading business process improvement and systems implementation.
- Spanish language proficiency.