Director Internal Audit
Successful travel company is seeking a Director of Internal Audit with a current focus on SOX compliance to lead the Company’s effort to design, implement and maintain our SOX compliance program. This position will have broad exposure to the operations of the Company and will interact with leaders across Finance, Legal, HR and Operations as well as our external advisors. This position will be responsible for the in-house management of SOX compliance effort and will need to build a team and work with external advisors to execute the scoping, testing and documentation of results of SOX compliance audits. This position will also be responsible for leading and executing operational and financial audits. This position requires a hands-on individual with day-to-day audit and compliance activities for both domestic and international operations.
Additionally, while the Company is currently working remote, the expectation is that this position will be primarily office-based once employees are able to return to the office.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Responsible for the development and implementation of the Sarbanes-Oxley section 404 audit compliance program for the company, including financial statement mapping, risk assessment and scoping process
· Oversee the effort to design, develop and test the Company’s internal controls over financial reporting including documentation and assessment (i.e. narratives, flowcharts, risk and control matrices) and annual testing plan
· Prepare and routinely present findings of SOX program, testing and results to management and track any identified control deficiencies, remediation, and closure of findings
· Assist in the building of the internal audit department, establish, and implement department policies and procedures
· Develop internal audit strategies, risk assessments, audit plans, and department initiatives.
· Oversee internal audits including scoping, testing and documentation of results
· Analyze critical business processes, evaluating design and operational effectiveness of internal controls and identifying potential process improvement opportunities.
· Assess various risks and exposures of key business processes in the preparation of audit plans and programs.
· Oversee and drive issue remediation follow-up to ensure issues are communicated to management and realistic action plans are in place to resolve the root cause of the issue.
· Stay current with business/industry changes and complex accounting, auditing, and information technology changes, and apply that knowledge within the controls and audits.
· Be a thought leader that regularly provides business insight and guidance to improve processes, controls and/or reduce cost.
· Develop and maintain close working relationships with the management teams of all major functional areas, ensuring a holistic understanding of key risks and processes of the organization
This position is ideally suited for an individual who is detail oriented and driven by growth and change. This individual should be extremely analytical, highly organized, have excellent time management skills and strong relationship management capabilities. Other qualifications include:
· Bachelor’s degree in the accounting or finance field
· Relevant certification (s): CPA, CIA etc.
· A minimum of 10 years SOX audit experience; Public Accounting firm experience with regards to SOX, Audit or internal audit functions.
· Excellent Project Management skills and experience in the context of a SOX or Audit leadership role
· A deep understanding of GAAP, IFRS, COSO, Sarbanes Oxley Act, and PCAOB Rules and experienced in the use of auditing and assessment frameworks and the application of professional standards and preferably experience implementing and building a SOX program
· Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
· Experience managing a team that is a mix of professional staff and third-party consultants
· Strong leadership and team building and development skills with an ability to set objectives and drive results
· Proven ability to work with and communicate effectively across all levels across the organization, including educating cross-functional teams and other leaders regarding SOX.
· Strong influencing skills and business judgement.
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment and mentoring team members
· Skilled at building relationships and communicating across various organizational teams
· Demonstrates positive attitude and takes a proactive approach
· Ability to travel domestic and internationally up to 30%, and work extended hours as needed