The Accounting Associate is a level-one accounting role designed to introduce team members to the non-profit and charter school accounting field. Depending on training, experience and knowledge level, the areas of responsibility include recording financial transactions, cash maintenance, participating in month-end close and providing accounts payable support as needed. This position reports to an Accounting Manager and provides on going career growth opportunities with experiential training and development.
· Prepare weekly bank reconciliations and cash position reports
· Record cash receipts in the general ledger
· Assist with journal entries and review of other monthly transactions as needed
· Follow-up with clients on back up requests
· Follow-up with appropriate entities on outstanding revenues
· Perform month-end close procedures and print financial statements
· Enter and post journal entries ,including accruals as assigned by Staff/Senior Accountant
· Review and code credit/debit card transactions
· Prepare various schedules for balance sheet support including amortization and fixed asset schedules
· Assist the Staff Accountant in completing grant compliance reports and budget-to-actual variance
· Assist in the resolution of inquiries from clients, governmental agencies and auditors
· Assist in special projects and year-end audit schedule preparation
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Accounting Manager
· Serve as a back-up to review AP entries when invoices volume increases
Generally, any combination of education that would provide the required knowledge and skills for successful performance would qualify. A typical method of demonstrating these requirements would be:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
LICENSE: A CPA license or CPA-eligibility is a plus.
· Purposes, methods ,and practices of financial and accounting record keeping
· Intermediate Microsoft Office(Word, Excel, Outlook)skills, advanced Excel skills are a plus
· Proper and effective use of English grammar and communication skills (oral and written)