Senior DevOps Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
Category : Information Technology
Location/City : CA - Los Angeles
Job Type : Full-time / Perm
Salary Range : 110000.00 - 115000.00 per year (Full-time / Perm)
Recruiter Name : Justin Allen
Recruiter Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sr. DevOps Engineer will be responsible both for establishing and enforcing production release policies and standards as well as the hands-on managing of complex code builds. This engineer will be supervising day-to-day code integration activities for a team of developers and support staff spanning multiple applications, environments and locations. The engineer will be responsible for assisting senior level Engineers in developing and maintaining portions of the integration and release processes within the infrastructure, development and support teams. Responsible for a number of multidisciplinary projects at any one time with the objective being to manage the change process by ensuring the timely, safe deployment of changes to the production environment.
- Establish policies and procedures for Release Management applicable to all group.
- Recommend and enforce best practices and standards in release management.
- Build and deploy software applications to various environments (UAT, Staging, Production, BCP/DR).
- Create opportunities to automate and enhance Change Management tools, environments, processes and procedures.
- Manage other resources whether they are on loan from other groups for the purpose of a specific release or whether they are dedicated Release Team members.
- Provide leadership in designing and improving the production release processes and related Change Management processes.
- Control product releases and monitor changes required for auditing and reporting throughout the product lifecycle.
- Branch, merge, and manage source code in source control system as needed.
- Troubleshoot build and deploy issues and work with the development team(s) to resolve.
- Coordinate release activities with Vendors, Project Management, Infrastructure, DBAs, Support, QA, Release Management and Development teams to ensure a smooth and trouble-free roll out of releases.
- Manage, deploy and support multiple concurrent releases through various test environments.
- Manage and maintain multiple test and staging environments, ensuring that these environments are properly setup, configured, and available for each project as scheduled.
- Trace complex build problems release issues and environment issues in a multi-component environment.
- Develop, maintain and enhance key parts of the release procedures and processes.
- Responsible for maintaining environment configuration, controls, code integrity, code conflict resolution, and will work closely with PM's, software development & QA teams to review code for compatibility issues, resolve issues as they arise and implement deployment processes.
- Assist to create, maintain and support extensive build and test environments (Development/QA/Staging).
- Assist to create, publish and manage formal release notification, instructions, deployment notes, and launch plans as needed.
- Support and enhance build and release processes through automation using a combination of processes, existing tools and enhancements.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in development operations, systems administration and/or operations
- Minimum 1 year experience with application development within a Sharepoint (2010 and above) environment
Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar discipline preferred.
- 2+ years in Release Management role preferred
- Some previous team leadership experience preferred
- Familiarity with ITIL or other Service Management best practices related to Release Management (ITIL Certification a plus but not required)
- TFS branching/merging experience is necessary.
- QA Experience will be a big plus.
- General understanding and experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Some infrastructure (server, network) configuration experience preferred
- Experience with working with rapid, overlapping product release cycles
- Excellent customer service attitude, communication skills (written and verbal), and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in cross-functional, multi-location teams a plus
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to any given situation
- Understanding of the principles and best practices of Software Configuration Management
- Ability to work under pressure and in high stress situations with a calm demeanor
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends in support of deployments
- Experience with building and deploying MS based applications
- .NET experience is a must
- Understanding of complex system architecture within a multi-tier environment
- Understanding of common software development strategies including .NET, MVC and MVVM.
- Experience with isolating build/deployment issues versus code issues a plus
- Source Code branching and merging strategy.
- Source control tool experience (Visual SourceSafe) a plus
- SQL experience a must
- Hands on knowledge programming in HTML and XML
- Experience working with and administration of web server technologies (IIS) is a plus
- Internet / E-Commerce application development experience is a plus